Clicking noises

Frankiesmoma

Hello.

So, my Crested gecko, Frankie, 10 Months Old, 14.5 Grams. Has been making clicking noises, now hold that thought, I was very scared when I first heard them, so I went to Reddit and got ridiculed, so I have a vet appointment tomorrow, I first heard the clicks 3 or 4 ago. Now his care is perfectly fine, humidity it between 50 - 60 during day, and then 80 to sometimes spikes to like 85 or 90 but is stays about 70 - 80 at night then mostly 55 - 60 during day. So the humidity is fine, he looks great he is a healthy boy and shows no other symptoms of being sick, now I was very scared at first because he was being sluggish and not sticking to anything for a few days but then he shed and started acting perfectly normal, now with all this being the only thing I could think of for these clicking noises was it being a RI from aspirating on water over 2 weeks ago, but why would symptoms show up that late? Also he sneezed all the water out, anyway.. And the only symptoms was clicking, so the first time he clicked I’m not exactly sure what happened but I took him out of his enclosure and started doing stuff and his chest was pressed up against my finger and I heard light clicks, now it’s highly possible he drank water right before I took him out, so why is this important? Well he did it twice again, being the next day and day after that, and each time he clicked it was directly after he drank water, again he has no other symptoms just these clicks after he drinks or possibly his chest being pressed up against my finger so, pressure on his chest, and he is still acting normal and has not gotten worse or whatever if anything better because now he’s happier after his shes. So finally should I be in shambles and in fear my guy has a RI or can anyone with crested geckos tell me if it is normal for this happen directly after drinking water then go on for another 20 seconds after? Or does if he a Ri and I have to be scared and anxious and spend 200 dollars at an exotic vet? Feel free to have ur guy drink some water and listen if there’s clicks for me because I’m genuinely just wondering is this just a crestie thing or is it abnormal?

Elizabeth Freer

now with all this being the only thing I could think of for these clicking noises was it being a RI from aspirating on water over 2 weeks ago, but why would symptoms show up that late? Also he sneezed all the water out, anyway.. And the only symptoms was clicking, so the first time he clicked I’m not exactly sure what happened but I took him out of his enclosure and started doing stuff and his chest was pressed up against my finger and I heard light clicks, now it’s highly possible he drank water right before I took him out, so why is this important? Well he did it twice again, being the next day and day after that, and each time he clicked it was directly after he drank water

Hi Frankiesmoma ~

A "clicking sound" isn't normal after a crested gecko drinks.

1. What are his average enclosure temperatures during the day and at night?
  2. Have you rough-textured things in Frankie's enclosure that he can rub against at shedding times?
You're doing the right thing bringing Frankie to an exotics vet tomorrow.

Kindly update this thread after his appointment.

Last edited:

Frankiesmoma

Hi Frankiesmoma ~

A "clicking sound" isn't normal after crested gecko drinks.

1. What are his average temps during the day and at night?
  2. Have you rough-textured things in Frankie's enclosure, he can rub against at shedding times?
You're doing the right thing bringing Frankie to an exotics vet tomorrow.

Kindly update this thread after his appointment.

The temps are 68 - 76 degrees some nights are colder then others but usually lowest it goes is 72 but a week ago it got a lot colder and I noticed his cage went as low as 66 but I got it back up quickly

He his a little hide he sheds in and rubs against he does good sheds

Why would it only be happening after he drinks and he has no other symptoms? Do you know what this could mean? Do we really think it’s a RI? Is it possible he is aspirating while drinking ? And why would that happen

Elizabeth Freer

The temps are 68 - 76 degrees some nights are colder then others but usually lowest it goes is 72 but a week ago it got a lot colder and I noticed his cage went as low as 66 but I got it back up quickly

He his a little hide he sheds in and rubs against he does good sheds

Why would it only be happening after he drinks and he has no other symptoms? Do you know what this could mean? Do we really think it’s a RI? Is it possible he is aspirating while drinking ? And why would that happen

Respiratory difficulties can linger and, perhaps, pneumonia could develop. I really don't know why Frankie could be aspirating while drinking.

You're doing the very best thing to get these clicks checked out tomorrow.

Last edited:

Frankiesmoma

Respiratory difficulties can linger and, perhaps, pneumonia could develop. I really don't know why Frankie could be aspirating while drinking.

You're doing the very best thing to get these clicks checked out tomorrow.

Ok so update I took him in. Doctor said he looks great, he got a stool test and he came negative for any parasites, then he got an X-ray, very healthy lungs, everything was good except something I didn’t expect at all, so he has very early signs of mbd, I’m not sure how thing happened as he gets fresh Pangea daily but I think I was over doing it on calci worms, he was sometimes just going for those and not even eating his Pangea, also apparently you should dust calci worms, I always dust his crickets and roaches, heavily actually, but um, I don’t think he was consuming Pangea enough, idk he’s only 10 months old as you know. He just had slight signs of weakness in tip of tail and all his feet/toes, ultimately the vet said since it’s so early and his condition is so good he has no visible signs of mbd and no fractures or anything that this is pretty much entirely reversible if I give him calcium, so now I have to give his liquid calcium 2x a day for a while then sprinkle repashy calcium plus in his cgd as well not just his bugs. I’ve seen conflicting info online that once they get any signs of mbd they have it for life but if he doesn’t get any fractures the effects of this can be completely reversed I’d think as the vet told me. I mean if you look at him he looks like a perfectly normal gecko.

Elizabeth Freer

Ok so update I took him in. Doctor said he looks great, he got a stool test and he came negative for any parasites, then he got an X-ray, very healthy lungs, everything was good except something I didn’t expect at all, so he has very early signs of mbd, I’m not sure how thing happened as he gets fresh Pangea daily but I think I was over doing it on calci worms, he was sometimes just going for those and not even eating his Pangea, also apparently you should dust calci worms, I always dust his crickets and roaches, heavily actually, but um, I don’t think he was consuming Pangea enough, idk he’s only 10 months old as you know. He just had slight signs of weakness in tip of tail and all his feet/toes, ultimately the vet said since it’s so early and his condition is so good he has no visible signs of mbd and no fractures or anything that this is pretty much entirely reversible if I give him calcium, so now I have to give his liquid calcium 2x a day for a while then sprinkle repashy calcium plus in his cgd as well not just his bugs. I’ve seen conflicting info online that once they get any signs of mbd they have it for life but if he doesn’t get any fractures the effects of this can be completely reversed I’d think as the vet told me. I mean if you look at him he looks like a perfectly normal gecko.

I'm happy that your vet caught extremely early signs of MBD before those signs were even really visible to us! It sounds like Frankie WILL make a complete recovery!

When a crested gecko eats bugs & worms plus powdered diets, powdered supplement dosage is a little more tricky. However, that's the ideal situation. :) If you were only feeding crickets, then lightly dusted prey is preferred over heavily dusted prey.

My 15 year old crestie George was an adult when he was given to me in the autumn of 2006. I don't know how old he was then. Years ago he gave up on crickets. He eats Pangea's Insect Diet & Pangea's Watermelon Diet.

Last edited: