NZ Gecko enclosure furnishing

Southernman

Hi Folks,

I'd be interested to know if any of you have had success in using artificial plants with New Zealand gecko's.

I'm wanting to explore what may work. I've always tended to use living plants such as Coprosma, Leptospernum & other similar plants in enclosures. Any Kiwi herp keepers had any luck? I have Naultinus stellatus, N. rudis, Hoplodactylus granulatus & H. duvaucelii.

Thanks
Phil :)

TOM_P

Hi Phil

I keep my Naultinus on artificial Buxus plants. I do have a few branches and a few real flowers in there (cherry flowers at the moment during european spring) but other than them its all artificial. I am breeding in F1 and F2 now in the same terraria so it seems artificial Plants are a viable solution. If I could choose between a 2 foot Coprosma full of berries and a artificial Buxus id however likely go with the Coprosma. But here in Europe thats not much of an option :)

I attached some pictures of some of my terraria (the one to the left and right have the plastic Buxus in them)

Best regards

Thomas
E5B6CDC0-EA51-4B15-B79E-996B423A9D2E.jpg805D3145-196E-4422-B7CB-DDDD7F2B14E3.jpgDC89800A-A7FD-4A7B-B936-2E095DCF0B14.jpg

Last edited:

lozza.bella

Hi Phil

I keep my Naultinus on artificial Buxus plants. I do have a few branches and a few real flowers in there (cherry flowers at the moment during european spring) but other than them its all artificial. I am breeding in F1 and F2 now in the same terraria so it seems artificial Plants are a viable solution. If I could choose between a 2 foot Coprosma full of berries and a artificial Buxus id however likely go with the Coprosma. But here in Europe thats not much of an option :)

I attached some pictures of some of my terraria (the one to the left and right have the plastic Buxus in them)

Best regards

Thomas
View attachment 22370View attachment 22371View attachment 22372

Lovely looking enclosures, thank you for the pictures and the info on the cherry blossom :)

Southernman

Thanks Thomas.

I use both real & artificial plants.

Local NZ herp keepers tend to shy away from artificial plants.

Appreciate the photos.

Cheers
Phil

nrgeakl

What are the best coprosmas for a green and forest gecko outside enclosure in Auckalnd NZ?

Coprosma - Rhamnoides
Coprosma - virescens
Coprosma - crassifolia
coprosma - ROTUNDIFOLIA
Mingi Mingi

Any others you can recommend?

Last edited:

Elizabeth Freer

What are the best coprosmas for a green and forest gecko outside enclosure in Auckalnd NZ?

Coprosma - Rhamnoides
Coprosma - virescens
Coprosma - crassifolia
coprosma - ROTUNDIFOLIA
Mingi Mingi

Any others you can recommend?
Welcome to Geckos Unlimited!

Join the NZHS and get a general authorization from the DOE to keep captive native geckos: New Zealand Herpetological Society: https://www.facebook.com/nz.herpetologicalsociety/

For additional information contact:

Last edited:

Elizabeth Freer

Why do you assume this member doesn't have the appropriate permits? The question was about plants, not permits.

I covered several NZ topics, Hilde, just in case. That gives this person more options to find the answers they are looking for.

Now this member has ample resources to be successful with these geckos. If this person already knew, the additional links open other members' eyes to these awesome New Zealand live-bearing geckos.

Last edited:

nrgeakl

I do know about permits because a registered permit holder is supplying the geckos to me, and unless the law changed you only have to get a permit if you are going to breed or pass them on.

However I will be applying for a permit as they are likely to breed, but i will get the enclosure built and ready first.

But yes my query was mostly about what is the best coprosma for the enclosure habitiat along with driftwood etc.

Elizabeth Freer

I do know about permits because a registered permit holder is supplying the geckos to me, and unless the law changed you only have to get a permit if you are going to breed or pass them on.

However I will be applying for a permit as they are likely to breed, but i will get the enclosure built and ready first.

But yes my query was mostly about what is the best coprosma for the enclosure habitiat along with driftwood etc.

These geckos are awesome! You're lucky to live in New Zealand.

Let me send you a PM.

nrgeakl

I did a search on Coprosmas and didn't find much, only about what artificial plants were good, my question is about what coprosma is best for green and forest geckos, of course along with driftwood etc.

Elizabeth Freer

I did a search on Coprosmas and didn't find much, only about what artificial plants were good, my question is about what coprosma is best for green and forest geckos, of course along with driftwood etc.
I sent you that PM.

I would have answered that question if I knew. I've never been fortunate enough to keep these geckos. The answer is "out there", I'm positive.

Geckos Unlimited was much more active back in the day, prior to the influx of FB groups. I'm grateful this thread is open -- that it has not been closed.