Florida gecko

Birby

Thanks for your tip.
Last Friday Walmart got Mocha "covered". :banana:

i have another question
so the silk plants i rinsed one with hot water but no soap because i was worried about soap drying and i wouldnt get it all off and then it would poison mocha

but anyways i rinsed one and put it in the cage but then i was told that the plant needs to be disinfected by boiling it so i took it out but mocha was already in it so she jumped down into the tank and made a thump sound but then she started running around just fine but i dont know if the plant already made her sick

also can crickets eat baby spinach?

Elizabeth Freer

If the plant was rinsed well, it won't hurt Mocha.

Here is info on what to feed your crickets. (Spinach is not the best.)
https://www.thesprucepets.com/raising-crickets-to-feed-pet-1237273

There are several foods on the SprucePets.com link that are poor choices for cricket food. Here they are:
  • no tropical fish flakes -- too much protein
  • no dog or cat food (wet or dry) -- meant for dogs and cats, not crickets (or geckos)
  • no potatoes
  • definitely NO wheat germ!!! Wheat germ is way too high in phosphorus! :(
/\ I've been the tropical fish flake & dry dog, cat, puppy, kitten food route as cricket food. Those things may have caused the death of my male leopard gecko years ago.

• Wheat Germ
    calcium 39
    phosphorus 842
    ratio: 1 part calcium : 22 parts phosphorus

• Wheat Bran
    calcium 73
    phosphorus 1,013
    ratio: 1 part calcium : 14 parts phosphorus

• Oats
    calcium 54
    phosphorus 523
    ratio: 1 part calcium : 10 parts phosphorus
Kretschmer's Wheat Germ is commonly sold in the USA.

For 98 click: Common Mealworm & Superworm Beddings -- Use something else!

Last edited:

Elizabeth Freer

Birby ~

Please scroll back to post 15 on this thread. I shared best and good things to feed the crickets. Can you find that post?

GeckoLeen

There are several foods on the SprucePets.com link that are poor choices for cricket food. Here they are:
no tropical fish flakes -- too much protein
no dog or cat food (wet or dry) -- meant for dogs and cats, not crickets (or geckos)
no potatoes
definitely NO wheat germ!!! Wheat germ is way too high in phosphorus!

/\ I've been the tropical fish flake & dry dog, cat, puppy, kitten food route as cricket food. Those things may have caused the death of my male leopard gecko years ago.

Thank you for catching that, Elizabeth!

Elizabeth Freer

That blue water dish is cool! What a great purchase! :cheer:

Please show us what Mocha's 10 gallon looks like with 1 fake plant. 2 fake plants might work even better. You have 5 fake plants now + your mom's air plant. :)

The more hiding places Mocha has, the better. She will feel much more comfortable --- less stressed --- when she's "hiding".

Last edited:

GeckoLeen

Wow, Mocha is really little! Those blue water dishes are really nice. Remember to keep only enough water for her to drink, and not so much that she could fall in, not be able to get out and drown. Also, make sure to scrub the bowl out really good once a week, so that bacteria doesn't start growing in it. It's called "biofilm", and it's that kinda slimy-feeling stuff that collects on a bowl that isn't cleaned often enough. You can just use some hot water and an old toothbrush to clean it.

Last edited:

Birby

That blue water dish is cool! What a great purchase! :cheer:

Please show us what Mocha's 10 gallon looks like with 1 fake plant. 2 fake plants might work even better. You have 5 fake plants now + your mom's air plant. :)

The more hiding places Mocha has, the better. She will feel much more comfortable --- less stressed --- when she's "hiding".

didnt you get my email? i sent you all the ingredients too IMG_20180820_150838_890.jpg

Birby

in the email i said that i cant get the plants to stand straight up without falling down so i have them leaning against the lid

also i have a question about the cloth you gave me should i use that instead of the plastic?

Elizabeth Freer

in the email i said that i cant get the plants to stand straight up without falling down so i have them leaning against the lid

also i have a question about the cloth you gave me should i use that instead of the plastic?
That cloth is NOT a substitute for the aquarium top you have. If the mesh holes in some lid were too large, the cloth could cover the tank as well as a mesh top.

The silk plants do not need to "stand up". Just bend the branches and lay them inside Mocha's house.

Another idea: Get some pebbles, small clean rocks, or marbles. Place the pebbles in a yogurt or cottage cheese type container. Then stick the silk plants into the pebbles. That might keep the plants standing up.

Hopefully more solutions will arrive soon.

Last edited:

Birby

2018-08-27 21.13.25.jpg

mocha says hello!!!

shes not hiding as much anymore and is more out in the open and she doesnt run away immediately when i get close to the tank thats a good thing right?

Elizabeth Freer

View attachment 45862

mocha says hello!!!

shes not hiding as much anymore and is more out in the open and she doesnt run away immediately when i get close to the tank thats a good thing right?
That's definitely a good thing, Birby! :banana:

Hi Mocha ~ Good to see you hanging out on your silk foliage! We can tell you're feeling more comfortable with each passing day.

Elizabeth Freer

Custom Soil Mix especially for Sansevieria (snake plant): fertilizer-free

Sansevieria varieties include squatty ones, upright ones, and very tall ones.

Plant sansevieria in terra cotta pots or plastic pots. CrestedRick's cork bark round planters work fine too.

I plant most my sansevieria in this fertilizer-free, perlite-free, custom mix or in fertilizer-free sandy soil. They do well. (This mix is poor for pothos.)
  • 2/3 Wonder Worm Earth Worm Castings (pure form of humus)
  • 1/3 Eco Earth coco fiber
Sansevieria are quite tolerant of low light. A 15-25 watt incandescent bulb from Ace Hardware or Home Depot overhead in a 5.5 inch or an 8.5 inch dome fixture during the day will be all the sansevieria needs to support its growth. Let sansevieria dry out between watering.