Parthenogenesis in my Isolated Gargoyle Gecko

LittleFrills

Hello everyone!

My gargoyle gecko who has remained isolated for the last 5 years has hatched a viable offspring. I've been looking around and haven't found anything documenting parthenogenesis in this species so I wanted to reach out to the forum to ask what are the chances of it remaining alive? I've housed both the offspring and the mother in separate tanks and found the second egg of the clutch within the original tank and I'm waiting to see if it hatches as well. Attaching some photos of the mother and the offspring.

20201017_223836.jpg20201017_230352.jpg20201017_230625.jpg20201019_105538.jpg20191124_180558.jpg

Elizabeth Freer

Welcome to Geckos Unlimited! :banana: :yahoo: :banana:, Mother Nature!

Keep this little guy fed!

What have you been feeding the mom? What brand and type supplements have you been using for it's mom?

acpart

Yes, this definitely happens with gargoyles, crested geckos and leachies, though not that often. There are a number of posts about it on the Pangea forum. The offspring is usually viable. I once had a bearded dragon egg go full term and though the hatchling didn't make it out of the egg, it was perfectly formed (I don't think there's any documented parthenogenesis in bearded dragons!).

Aliza