Humidity and temperature setup

Katillia

Humidity/temperature question here. We are into our first furnace season with our crestie. Our house runs around 40%, so other than the initial morning misting (spray bottle), she's drying out down to the 40s and low 50s during the day. I know it's important to let the level drop during the day, I'm aiming to maintain an avg of 50 to 60% during the day, then mist her in the evening for higher humidity as well as water availability . Her temp is also hovering around 70 to 72. So to deal with the lower temperature I've added a low heat lamp, which seems to be helping, except it dries the tank out even more. So I got a cool mist humidifier and hooked it up via a hose. I've set a timer to turn it on for 10mins every hour (10 on, 45 min off). It's on its lowest setting but within a few minutes the reading is up to 83% then drops to mid 60s within 5 to 10mins after shutting off. With the heat lamp going it's settling back down to the low 50s by the time the humidifier turns back on, which I'd imagine without the humidifier would just drop back to the 40s. Then the cycle continues. So it's not really a constant humidity level, but it avgs to be about right.... I think.

Is this ok? Like, I work full time so can't be misting her throughout the day, and with needing to add heat that dries the tank out, I need the extra moisture. The thermometer and hydrometer probes are in the middle of the tank. I did have a cover covering half the lid to help but it wasn't enough. Now with the grow light and the heat lamp I can't cover the lid. I'm also trying to keep the substrate moist for the plants and springtails/isopods asthey were drying out and numbers dwindled, should I just actually water the substrate every few days, like with a watering can?

Any advice? Am I doing ok? There's no heat or humidity issues in the summer, just while the furnace is running.

In the picture you can see the fogging doing it's thing. The heat lamp is at the top right, you can see her in the bottom left protected if need be from the heat. She has been making a habit of sleeping down there, I assume as the ground is more humid. Side note, little bugger hangs out under that log all day, then on top for the evening ready to pounce on me as soon as I open her door. I think I'm going to have to move the log lolFB_IMG_1670951317341.jpg

Last edited:

acpart

I live in New England with forced hot air heating so it gets pretty dry here in the winter as well. At the moment I have 3 cages of cresties, 3 cages of gargoyles and 1 leachie cage. They are all planted like yours. I mist in the evenings only and don't provide any additional heat. Everyone is doing great and they range in age from 5 to 16 years.

Aliza

Katillia

That's great to hear, thank you. Is running at around 72F and 40% all day ok? That readin was about 3/4 way up the tank (I've since moved the probes to the middle while trying to figure this all out). She really seems to be hunkering down in the substrate that's what was getting me a bit worried, that she was looking for warmth and moisture in the substrate. I've been making sure to mist the substrate as my springtails were drying out and dying. She's always kinda hung around the bottom half of the tank, but never in the dirt ,usually just stuck to the glass lower down. She doesn't have a fantastic appetite that I can tell, I'd been hand feeding her mostly out of desperation to at least know she'd eat, but she's getting a bit feisty so I've stopped the hand feed.

Katillia

I live in New England with forced hot air heating so it gets pretty dry here in the winter as well. At the moment I have 3 cages of cresties, 3 cages of gargoyles and 1 leachie cage. They are all planted like yours. I mist in the evenings only and don't provide any additional heat. Everyone is doing great and they range in age from 5 to 16 years.

Aliza
Also , how much do you mist in the evening? I have a hand sprayer and I feel like I'm soaking everything, but maybe I need to spray a bit more. I've gotta be quick about it because I'm afraid she's gonna make a run for it.

Elizabeth Freer

Hi Katillia ~
Welcome to Geckos Unlimited!

Have you tried literally "watering" your hy droton culture balls directly every so often? Not excessively so, just the "right amount"? 😉 For instance by adding a cup or so of water hy droton absorbs water, thereby evening out humidity throughout the days & nights. You don't want your hy droton "swimming" (or being able to see unabsorbed water), because then mold could be a problem.

I use hy droton in several enclosures to keep gecko's humidity more constant.

Humidity bounces around a lot depending upon temperature & available moisture.

Otherwise I use a hand sprayer in the evening for my male crestie George. Crested geckos tolerate temperatures from 65*-69*F during the night.

PS:
Does your crestie have a fat piece of bamboo or a ~2" diameter cork bark tunnel to sleep in? My crestie loves his fat bamboo cozy "sleeping bag"! He even backs out when he's ready to explore. He's never gotten stuck.

Katillia

Hi Katillia ~
Welcome to Geckos Unlimited!

Have you tried literally "watering" your hy droton culture balls directly every so often? Not excessively so, just the "right amount"? 😉 For instance by adding a cup or so of water hy droton absorbs water, thereby evening out humidity throughout the days & nights. You don't want your hy droton "swimming" (or being able to see unabsorbed water), because then mold could be a problem.

I use hy droton in several enclosures to keep gecko's humidity more constant.

Humidity bounces around a lot depending upon temperature & available moisture.

Otherwise I use a hand sprayer in the evening for my male crestie George. Crested geckos tolerate temperatures from 65*-69*F during the night.

PS:
Does your crestie have a fat piece of bamboo or a ~2" diameter cork bark tunnel to sleep in? My crestie loves his fat bamboo cozy "sleeping bag"! He even backs out when he's ready to explore. He's never gotten stuck.
How do I water the balls? Do I just pour the water into the substrate in one spot, do I dig through the substrate a bit then add so it spreads out along the bottom?

She has a magnetic hide on the side that she has never gone into, but no cork tunnel. Maybe she'd like that vs sleeping in the dirt ?

Elizabeth Freer

How do I water the balls? Do I just pour the water into the substrate in one spot, do I dig through the substrate a bit then add so it spreads out along the bottom?

She has a magnetic hide on the side that she has never gone into, but no cork tunnel. Maybe she'd like that vs sleeping in the dirt ?
Pour some water in a couple locations. The water "spreads out" as it's absorbed by the hy droton. Use something like a large diameter PVC tube, a "funnel" of sorts, to direct this water through the soil right into the hy droton. Otherwise, the soil will become soggy. I don't think soggy soil is a good idea. Soggy soil wouldn't be good for your clean-up crew.

My fat bamboo tube rests at a diagonal from the ground in one corner against the side of the glass at a far corner.

A reptile show is a good place to find cork tunnels. You might get a bit larger tunnel so she kinda grows into it.

Katillia

Pour some water in a couple locations. The water "spreads out" as it's absorbed by the hy droton. Use something like a large diameter PVC tube, a "funnel" of sorts, to direct this water through the soil right into the hy droton. Otherwise, the soil will become soggy. I don't think soggy soil is a good idea. Soggy soil wouldn't be good for your clean-up crew.

My fat bamboo tube rests at a diagonal from the ground in one corner against the side of the glass at a far corner.

A reptile show is a good place to find cork tunnels. You might get a bit larger tunnel so she kinda grows into it.
Oh perfect thank you so much for the details! We have a reptile store locally where I've got the rest of my wood pieces. I've seen the tubes there. It will be her xmas gift lol

I just dug out some PVC, that's kinda what I was thinking for watering, because ya, I don't want to just soak the soil

acpart

I use a hand sprayer that I can latch on and probably spray for about 30 seconds max. My oldest gecko, Spencer, likes to spend the days on the ground in his hide or wrapped up in some of the leaves. He spends the evenings on the glass, where he is now. I have a large enclosure with 3 female sisters and they're all almost all the time on the glass. One idea that I've done before is to get one of those magnet hides that you put on the wall and to tape some heat tape around it. I have a male that spends most of his time in his magnet hide.

Aliza

Katillia

I use a hand sprayer that I can latch on and probably spray for about 30 seconds max. My oldest gecko, Spencer, likes to spend the days on the ground in his hide or wrapped up in some of the leaves. He spends the evenings on the glass, where he is now. I have a large enclosure with 3 female sisters and they're all almost all the time on the glass. One idea that I've done before is to get one of those magnet hides that you put on the wall and to tape some heat tape around it. I have a male that spends most of his time in his magnet hide.

Aliza
Love the name 💓

I have a large magnet hide, Rose just ignores it completely.